VCE cover more than 100 courses for student to choose, and only four to six subjects are tested in the final examination. Each subject includes four units, student need to pass Unit 1 and Unit 2 before they process to Unit 3 and Unit 4. It’s worth to note that the score of Unit 3 and Unit 4 would be counted in ATAR. Student can choose the subjects that they find interest in, based on their skilled area, future career path and the University that they are planning to apply. Asian student prefers to select courses from the “Asian Five” in order increase their score in the greatest extent. The “Asian Five” are the subjects of EAL (English as an Additional Language), foreign language (international student choose their mother language at most of the time), specialist mathematics, mathematics method, physics/chemistry/biology.
Student need to complete the primary four (16 units in total) in the VCE courses, which include,
1.The first subject: Three units from the English group (compulsory)
- Student can choose from EAL (English as an Additional Language), English, English Language, and literature.
- The score of English would be counted directly into ATAR. Thus, most of international student would like to choose EAL to make sure they
can get a high score.
- Student must choose one English course and successfully complete Unit 1 to Unit 4 if they want to get the VCE certificate.
- It is important to know that working hard on English is important not only in increasing ATAR but also for applying ideal University. Most of well-known Australian University require student to achieve a score above 30 (including the group of eight, such as Melbourne University and Monash University). Other University also require a score above 25. Hence, student would not be admitted if their English score cannot meet the standard although their final score is high enough.
2. The second, third and fourth subjects can be chosen from the full list of VCE studies freely.
- The score of the chosen subject would be influenced by VCE’s scale up & scale down system. Thus, student need to pay attention in their selection.
- In general, subjects of maths, science and foreign language have the most chances to scale up under the system.
1. Student can also choose two incremental subjects to further increase their score.
2. 2. They can choose from
- Science (including biology, psychology, chemistry, physics etc.)
- Business (Accounting, business management, economics etc.)
- Humanities (geography, history, philosophy etc.)
-The arts (dance, drama, media etc.)
Enrol requirement of specific subjects
- EAL （English as an Additional Language ），the course is designed for student whose mother language is not English. It’s the best English subjects for international student. It can best satisfy international student’s needs in learning English and help them to hold the advantage when competing with other native speakers. SAC occupy 50% of the final score in EAL.
- Mathematics method, ，a pop scale up subjects. It includes the study of trigonometric function, calculus, probability and algebra. In general, mathematics can help to scale up the score around 4 to 5 marks. The application of many majors in the University, such as science and medical school require student to study mathematics method and achieve a certain level of score. SAC normally occupy 33% of the final score of mathematics method.
- Specialist mathematics: ，one of the most scale up subjects. It requires student to have a deep understanding in mathematics concept and familiar with the application. It can scale up the score around 8 to 12 marks. Student who plan to apply for major such as actuarial science and mathematics is required to study specialist mathematics. SAC occupy 33% of the final score of specialist mathematics.
- Foreign language, ，it’s a safe choice for international student. Student can choose their mother language as the studied subject. In general, studying foreign language can help to scale up around 5 marks. SAC occupy 50% of the final score of this subject.
- Chemistry ，a subject which has strong connection with medical courses. Most of medical school in Australian University require student to complete chemistry within their VCE study. It can help to scale up around 3 to 4 marks. SAC occupy 16% in the final score of Unit 3 and 24% in Unit 4.
- Physics ，a required subject to study for most of science school. It can help to scale up around 3 to 4 marks normally. SAC occupy 33% of the final score of physics.
-Biology ，the major of biology in University would normally not require student to study biology in VCE. However, studying this subject must help student to adapt to the Uni courses faster. In general, studying biology can help to scale up 1 to 2 marks. SAC occupy 33% of the final score of biology.